Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Today is a special day.

Today, October 15th, is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day in the United States.

1. Help Pass the Stillbirth Awareness and Research Act. Today, on October 15th, publish a post on your blog supporting H.R. 5979 Stillbirth Awareness and Research Act. GOAL: 1,000,000 Google results on October 15th when that term is searched for. Currently, Google only returns 20,400 pages - most of which have nothing to do with the bill.

2. Help spread the word. Blog about what today is. Do it today. Tell others. Tell people you normally wouldn't tell, meaning non-bloggers. Bring it up in a conversation to start to show people this isn't something we have to whisper about.

3. Light a candle tonight at 7pm ~your~ time for 1 hour to honor all babies lost. This way, there will be a continuous "wave of light" to remember all our babies.

This is such an important topic. It brings sadness to my heart to think about all of the families who have dealt with a pregnancy or infant loss. It's something that is difficult to talk about. But it needs to be talked about. It's not something to be kept hidden in the dark in shame. More research needs to be done. More lives need to be saved. Doctors need to be aware of the best way to treat all pregnant patients as to preserve life. Please say a prayer and light a candle for lost life tonight.

I recently talked with two ladies who experienced loss. One was in her 50s, a beautiful lady inside and out. She has one son about my age who she adores and is very proud of. She lost a daughter at 9 months of pregnancy. She was seeing her OB, but they were not very concerned about her. Her husband did not support her. She delivered the baby at the hospital by herself. She was crying as she told me the story, and I was trying not to bawl. She had lots of tips for me and for me not to lift anything or do anything. Another lady at my church is in her 70s. She's a cute little lady, always wearing a little too much makeup, a little too poofy hair, and talks a little too much, but she's sweet. She told me of her loss too. She was 19 or 20 and her baby came early and did not survive. The drs and nurses convinced her not to see the baby. They thought it was better. To this day, that haunts her and saddens her.

My sister-in-law lost a son around 20 weeks. My mother did an ultrasound on her "just for fun" to see the baby. Well, it turned out to not to be good news. The baby had no heartbeat. She saw her doctor a few days later and was forced to go through a delivery of a still born child. I will never forget the graveside service for that baby.

I lost my son's twin at 10 weeks. Is it any less of a loss because my son is growing healthy and strong? Not to me. I just have something to keep my mind occupied and something to rejoice in.

These stories and countless others sadden everyone. No one is safe from infant and pregnancy loss. Everyone has been touched by this sadness. So let's hope our goverment and doctors and researchers do their best to help us.

But let's remember that each child really is a miracle - from conception to delivery. We are not guaranteed anything in this life. I am thankful that my child is growing strong. I pray that he continues to grow and be born a healthy child. Every day of life in this world is a sacred gift.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment.


View My Stats